Free Online Fitness Session
for older adults
Jordan’s session 22 July 2020
Led by Jordan, this 50-minute workout contains opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to movement speed. In the first workout, you’ll be moving quickly, performing four cardiovascular exercises over a short timeframe. The difference here is that you’ll be getting double the amount of rest for the amount you are working, giving you plenty of time to recover. This means that you should move quickly to make the most of it. The general rule of thumb is that the lower the work rate, the higher the intensity should be. This is good for maintaining a strong and healthy heart, as well as a general feeling of being fit.
The second workout is the opposite of this as the aim will be to move slowly. You’ll be performing three strength exercises over the course of 9 minutes, where you’ll be getting half the amount of rest that you are working. Here the focus is on controlling the movement so take it nice and slow so that you can work on your technique. It’s all about movement quality and keeping the muscles under tension for longer so you certainly shouldn’t be rushing. This is beneficial for building muscular strength to protect the joints and for maintaining good bone health.
After all your hard work you’ll be rewarded with a nice cool down and stretch.
We’d love to have your comments on the session and don’t forget to subscribe to the FIT FOR GOOD YouTube Channel! Please do consider donating to FIT FOR GOOD so that we can carry on providing FREE sessions.
Try another session
SUPPORT FIT FOR GOOD
Please help us continue to offer our programme of free sessions. Thank you!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SESSION
Fit For Good online sessions are a convenient, enjoyable way of improving your fitness and helping to increase your strength, stability and balance.
To make the most of each session:
- Position your computer, laptop, iPad or phone on a stable surface near where you will be working. If you can get YouTube on your television, that's another option
- Check the floor where you are exercising is not slippery and that there is nothing you could trip over
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable trainers or shoes
- Keep a glass or bottle of water to hand to ensure you stay hydrated
- Have a chair or other stable object to hold onto if necessary
- Place your weights - whether they are actual dumbbells, cans of beans, bottles of water or whatever works for you - where you can easily reach them, but won't trip over them
- Exercise within your comfort zone, pausing the video whenever you need to rest or hydrate
- Play background music if it helps you relax
WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS
If you're enjoying Fit For Good online sessions, we’d love to see you via photos or videos – we're regularly asked by news sources for images of people doing the sessions. Perhaps someone in your household has a phone and could take pictures or a video clip? Please send them here.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAMME