Free Online Fitness Session
for older adults
Jordan’s session 8 July 2020
Led by Jordan, this 50-minute session is split into two workouts that will improve your balance, cardiovascular conditioning and upper and lower body strength.
The first workout combines cardiovascular movements with a balancing exercise to improve your balance whilst under fatigue. In most circumstances, when an individual has a fall they are usually performing an activity that somewhat fatigues them, such as walking, carrying the shopping, doing the gardening or hanging the laundry up. The idea behind this workout is to strengthen and improve your balance whilst under fatigue so that, when you perform everyday tasks, your body has adapted to become strong and stable whilst in this zone. This reduces the risk of falling as your body has learnt to become strong when it is under pressure.
The second workout pairs two exercises that will strengthen the upper and lower body. Here the aim is to move slowly and with perfect technique to ensure that all of your muscles are engaging correctly and to improve your bodily awareness whilst moving an external load. This is a nice change of pace from the first workout as the main focus is good control and fluidity of movement.
You’ll finish the session with a nice cool down and stretch to help you relax after two tough but effective workouts.
We’d love to have your comments on the session and don’t forget to subscribe to the FIT FOR GOOD YouTube Channel! Please do consider donating to FIT FOR GOOD on our website so that we can carry on providing FREE sessions.
Try another session
SUPPORT FIT FOR GOOD
Please help us continue to offer our programme of free sessions. Thank you!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SESSION
Fit For Good online sessions are a convenient, enjoyable way of improving your fitness and helping to increase your strength, stability and balance.
To make the most of each session:
- Position your computer, laptop, iPad or phone on a stable surface near where you will be working. If you can get YouTube on your television, that's another option
- Check the floor where you are exercising is not slippery and that there is nothing you could trip over
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable trainers or shoes
- Keep a glass or bottle of water to hand to ensure you stay hydrated
- Have a chair or other stable object to hold onto if necessary
- Place your weights - whether they are actual dumbbells, cans of beans, bottles of water or whatever works for you - where you can easily reach them, but won't trip over them
- Exercise within your comfort zone, pausing the video whenever you need to rest or hydrate
- Play background music if it helps you relax
WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS
If you're enjoying Fit For Good online sessions, we’d love to see you via photos or videos – we're regularly asked by news sources for images of people doing the sessions. Perhaps someone in your household has a phone and could take pictures or a video clip? Please send them here.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAMME