Free Online Fitness Session
for older adults
Jordon’s session 20 May 2020
Led by Jordan, this 45-minute workout will strengthen a functional movement pattern as well as your cardiovascular fitness. The first part is a strength workout where you will combine two exercises – a functional movement and an upper-body resistance exercise. The functional movement pattern is in the form of a ‘Suitcase Deadlift’, which simulates picking up something from the floor. You will aim to move slowly with Jordan, focusing on perfect technique to strengthen the muscles you use whenever you reach to pick something up, primarily the lower back, hips and legs. You will combine this exercise with a random upper body strength exercise, which Jordan will show you whilst you are resting between the rounds.
The second part is a simple yet effective cardiovascular workout. You’ll be moving your entire body in short intervals and with plenty of rest to ensure that you maximise your work rate during each round. The aim of this workout is to improve your cardiovascular fitness and heart health, so prepare to get your heart rate up and to feel like you’ve done a good workout by the end of it.
We’d love to have your comments on the session and please don’t forget to subscribe to the FIT FOR GOOD YouTube Channel!
Try another session
SUPPORT FIT FOR GOOD
Please help us continue to offer our programme of free sessions. Thank you!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SESSION
Fit For Good online sessions are a convenient, enjoyable way of improving your fitness and helping to increase your strength, stability and balance.
To make the most of each session:
- Position your computer, laptop, iPad or phone on a stable surface near where you will be working. If you can get YouTube on your television, that's another option
- Check the floor where you are exercising is not slippery and that there is nothing you could trip over
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable trainers or shoes
- Keep a glass or bottle of water to hand to ensure you stay hydrated
- Have a chair or other stable object to hold onto if necessary
- Place your weights - whether they are actual dumbbells, cans of beans, bottles of water or whatever works for you - where you can easily reach them, but won't trip over them
- Exercise within your comfort zone, pausing the video whenever you need to rest or hydrate
- Play background music if it helps you relax
WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS
If you're enjoying Fit For Good online sessions, we’d love to see you via photos or videos – we're regularly asked by news sources for images of people doing the sessions. Perhaps someone in your household has a phone and could take pictures or a video clip? Please send them here.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAMME