Free Online Fitness Session
for older adults
Jordan’s session 3 February 2021
Led by Jordan, this 30-minute session includes a rewarding workout for seniors who are looking to improve their upper body strength.
Our Fit For Good trainers are often told by their clients and class participants that their upper body strength is generally a lot weaker than their lower body strength, and it’s clear to see why – in today’s society we use our legs far more than our arms in ways that make them stronger. For example, we sit down and stand up a lot more often than we raise our arms overhead. As as a result of this, today’s session is all about upper body strength, containing four movements to strengthen the arms, shoulders, back and postural muscles.
A stronger upper body often leads to better postural alignment and can help the lower body in everyday situations, such as the arms helping the legs push away from a chair when standing up. Not only that but other tasks such as carrying the shopping or placing items into an overhead cupboard become far more manageable. Therefore, the result of this is a more capable, functional and balanced body.
After the hard work is complete, the session will finish with a nice stretch to cool down.
We’d love to have your comments on this rewarding workout for seniors. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Fit For Good YouTube Channel! Please do consider donating to Fit For Good so that we can carry on providing FREE sessions.
What is Fit For Good?
Research supports the fact that regular exercise is vital to good health and helps control the ageing process. Fit For Good is a programme specifically designed to help men and women over 60, of all abilities, take more control over how they age and enjoy becoming more mobile, more stable and more socially active.
Although we all understand that exercise is essential for living well into old age, it’s hard to find a way to make it part of daily life. Fit For Good sessions aim to help you enjoy healthier, happier ageing. Our professional trainers guide you. You gain strength, balance, flexibility and stamina during each workout. You work at your own pace and your own ability – although it’s always good to push yourself just slightly to gain maximum benefit.
Try another session
SUPPORT FIT FOR GOOD
Please help us continue to offer our programme of free sessions. Thank you!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SESSION
Fit For Good online sessions are a convenient, enjoyable way of improving your fitness and helping to increase your strength, stability and balance.
To make the most of each session:
- Position your computer, laptop, iPad or phone on a stable surface near where you will be working. If you can get YouTube on your television, that's another option
- Check the floor where you are exercising is not slippery and that there is nothing you could trip over
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable trainers or shoes
- Keep a glass or bottle of water to hand to ensure you stay hydrated
- Have a chair or other stable object to hold onto if necessary
- Place your weights - whether they are actual dumbbells, cans of beans, bottles of water or whatever works for you - where you can easily reach them, but won't trip over them
- Exercise within your comfort zone, pausing the video whenever you need to rest or hydrate
- Play background music if it helps you relax
WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS
If you're enjoying Fit For Good online sessions, we’d love to see you via photos or videos – we're regularly asked by news sources for images of people doing the sessions. Perhaps someone in your household has a phone and could take pictures or a video clip? Please send them here.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAMME