Free Online Fitness Session
for older adults
Jordan’s session 17 June 2020
Led by Jordan, this 45-minute workout aims to improve muscular symmetry across the body by working one side at a time. In resistance training, it’s natural to subtly pay more attention to the stronger side when lifting a pair of weights. To combat this, in this session you’ll be focusing on one side at a time so that you give both sides of the body an equal amount of attention. Not only that but you’ll find that you will have to stabilise your core muscles a little bit more so that the pull of the weight on one side doesn’t offset your balance. This will help towards better engagement of your core muscles and also carries over to real life, where we often carry shopping, handbags and items using just one side of the body.
This will be followed by a nice relaxing stretch to cool down after a tough but effective session. We’d love to have your comments on the session and don’t forget to subscribe to the FIT FOR GOOD YouTube Channel! Please do consider donating to FIT FOR GOOD so that we can carry on providing FREE sessions.
Try another session
SUPPORT FIT FOR GOOD
Please help us continue to offer our programme of free sessions. Thank you!
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SESSION
Fit For Good online sessions are a convenient, enjoyable way of improving your fitness and helping to increase your strength, stability and balance.
To make the most of each session:
- Position your computer, laptop, iPad or phone on a stable surface near where you will be working. If you can get YouTube on your television, that's another option
- Check the floor where you are exercising is not slippery and that there is nothing you could trip over
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable trainers or shoes
- Keep a glass or bottle of water to hand to ensure you stay hydrated
- Have a chair or other stable object to hold onto if necessary
- Place your weights - whether they are actual dumbbells, cans of beans, bottles of water or whatever works for you - where you can easily reach them, but won't trip over them
- Exercise within your comfort zone, pausing the video whenever you need to rest or hydrate
- Play background music if it helps you relax
WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS
If you're enjoying Fit For Good online sessions, we’d love to see you via photos or videos – we're regularly asked by news sources for images of people doing the sessions. Perhaps someone in your household has a phone and could take pictures or a video clip? Please send them here.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAMME