Choose your quick exercise
Quick exercises are a way of keeping fit and healthy in between full Fit For Good sessions and are easily fitted around other activities.
Standing hip extension
Standing Hip Extension, to strengthen your gluteal muscles (the three muscles which make up the buttocks) Prolonged sitting tightens the hip flexor muscles and weakens the hamstrings. To counteract this, you need to open the hips with hip extension moves. Hip extension involves some of our strongest muscles – the gluteal muscles and hamstrings. These…START THE SESSION >
A chair or countertop is needed for this balance improver: Stand up straight, pulling in your abdominal muscles. Slowly lift one leg out in front of you Then move the leg out to the side And then slowly out behind you, without leaning forward Repeat five times, then try the same thing on the other…START THE SESSION >
This is an excellent exercise to strengthen muscles which help you stay upright – and it can be done almost anywhere. Stand holding the back of a chair, a sofa or a countertop Lift up onto your tip toes, hold for a few seconds then go back done again Repeat ten times once or twice…START THE SESSION >
Rock the boat
‘Rock the Boat’ is a simple exercise that requires no equipment, although you can use a balance for support. Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, with even weight on each side, then raise your arms out to the side for balance. Stand up straight, shoulders back, head looking forward. Raise one foot off the ground,…START THE SESSION >
To help improve your balance, try walking in a straight line, one foot in front of the other with your arms outstretched. Then try it backwards. Once you are confident doing this, you can try it while looking side to side. Please let us know how you get on!START THE SESSION >
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR SESSION
Fit For Good online sessions are a convenient, enjoyable way of improving your fitness and helping to increase your strength, stability and balance.
To make the most of each session:
- Position your computer, laptop, iPad or phone on a stable surface near where you will be working. If you can get YouTube on your television, that's another option
- Check the floor where you are exercising is not slippery and that there is nothing you could trip over
- Wear loose clothing and comfortable trainers or shoes
- Keep a glass or bottle of water to hand to ensure you stay hydrated
- Have a chair or other stable object to hold onto if necessary
- Place your weights - whether they are actual dumbbells, cans of beans, bottles of water or whatever works for you - where you can easily reach them, but won't trip over them
- Exercise within your comfort zone, pausing the video whenever you need to rest or hydrate
- Play background music if it helps you relax
WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS
If you're enjoying Fit For Good online sessions, we’d love to see you via photos or videos – we're regularly asked by news sources for images of people doing the sessions. Perhaps someone in your household has a phone and could take pictures or a video clip? Please send them here.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAMME